Friday 22 June 2007

A difference of opinion

It seems to be quite easy to meet people who have the same interests as you these days. Internet forums bring together Shakira fans from around the world, and I’m sure there are many tales of people sparking relationships over their shared love of meerkats.

When I think about it, I’m not entirely sure how my boyfriend and I got together. We were at the same university, and apart from that, the only thing we have ever worked out that we have in common is that both of us had a hamster called Crumbs when we were kids. It seems our entire compatibility rests on this amazing co-incidence. In fact we disagree on everything possible:

Me: Diet coke
Him: Regular coke

Me: Blur
Him: Oasis

Me: London Lite
Him: The London Paper

Me: Wembley is the best Fraggle
Him: Gobo is the best Fraggle

Me: Caribbean (I can dream…)
Him: Glastonbury (don’t mention it this weekend…)

Me: Allergic to cats
Him: Allergic to guinea pigs

Actually the list goes on…

But in fact, I think that perhaps some of the best couples have nothing in common. Now my boss and her husband may have a harmoniously amicable marriage, but really they actually have completely different interests: he drinks red wine, she drinks white, he likes the South of France, she likes Dubai, and it works because they dine and holiday separately…well perhaps not the best example, but still, differing opinions bring variety to a relationship, right? My boyfriend and I often have lively debates, for example, why you shouldn’t name a child after the place it was conceived...yes Brooklyn is a much better name than Romeo, but when you might still be living in Tooting in five years time…

But my colleague at work is not convincing me on her current love interest. She recently had a breast enlargement operation, and her surgeon was an extremely handsome Kiwi. She is besotted, and has a date with him this Friday night (believe me, this girl always gets what she wants).

Now I feel that the fact that he has already touched her intimately whilst she was naked and unconscious already makes it just a little uncomfortable, but my main problem is that he actually bungled the operation, giving her uneven results, meaning she has had to have consequent corrective surgery. What a basis for a relationship! A major issue of contention, bound to be brought up in any argument, already exists, before even their first date! Every time they argue over how she never does the washing up, she can retort, ‘well, you botched my boob job, you bastard!’ I’m really not sure…

Hmm, you know, my boyfriend and I have plenty in common – both being normal is more than enough.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
xyz said...

I was going to comment on your entry, but I have to say this...

What's with the note from that Rodrigo???

Tooting Commuter said...

I have no idea, I don't know how I missed that one!